Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sick Days

If you check our blog regularly (Julie Perry- this is for you), you might have noticed our prayer request box on the right side has been changing every couple of days. I woke up Saturday morning with whatever virus is currently making the rounds. Steven seemed fine for a day or two, but then woke up at 3:30am on Monday just to be sure that we knew he had caught it. Then yesterday, Charlton started feeling not-so-great. I am, thankfully, feeling much better today, and so my recently cleared mind started thinking again...and here's where it wandered...
Moms don't get sick days. Just about any job position you can have, your benefits include sick days, right? Before I was a mom and I got sick, I would divide my day between sleeping in my bed and watching movies on the couch. I still got to do some of that this week but mostly in spurts between feedings and Steven's naps. I was already convinced that being a mom is the hardest job you can have. And this week added new level of meaning for me...there is no one that can fill in for you and I will never be on vacation (not even when I'm sick). Upon my realization about the benefits of this job, a new thought couldn't help but pop into my head...WHY do we do it- normally no one in their right mind would take a job like that? The answer is obvious; I look at my precious baby's face and know...I have the best job in the world.
Here's my beautiful, sick baby on our bed. The "benefits" are actually pretty good, don't you think?
P.S. Happy Birthday to Mamma!

2 comments:

jon said...

hey, laura! i found your blog through jennifer's. haven't seen you in forever! your baby boy is too cute. i love those chubby cheeks...bet you kiss them all day long.

Anonymous said...

Well you summed it up right there.
The benefits are great!