Thursday, April 19, 2007

Crawling!

That's right...Steven crawled this morning for the first time. It has been a slow, hard, frustrating process for him; he's been working on it for over a month, but slow and steady wins the race, right?! Charlton and I have been trying to help him move his knees forward- that was the last piece of the puzzle. This morning we were playing on the floor; I was talking to him and he was staring down an out-of-reach toy he wanted, when he slowly crawled about a foot to it. It took me a minute because there was no celebration on his end, but then I just went crazy and Steven grinned sheepishly like, "Mom, you don't have to get SO excited"; but I knew he was proud of himself. I wasn't anxious for him to crawl since I know that this will change everything- no more sitting him with his toys in the middle of the floor and knowing that he's safe. Although, he's been so frustrated that he can't go anywhere or play with the older boys at bible study and playgroups, that I'm happy for his new accomplishment. Oh, and please excuse our bedhead. =)
He understands so much more than you would think. He decided that he would crawl over to an end table and chew on it- I guess with his new freedom he decided he could do whatever he wanted. I was right there (he's bold, huh?) so I told him "no" and lightly pushed his mouth off the table so he would understand. He grinned, then got serious when I didn't smile (that is SO hard), and I thought I saw a flicker of understanding shadow his cute little face. He didn't try it again so I told him that he was a good boy and he got a kiss. I doubt that this is the way it will go every time, but a mom can dream, can't she? =)

4 comments:

lis said...

Way to go Steven--we knew it was in you!!! Hope you guys had a great study on Sunday--we were sad we missed out!!! :)

Unknown said...

wow! that is so awesome! good job Steven. :)

~the ten of us~ said...

Yeah !!! A young man on the move ... now the fun begins (for him and you :o)

Tricia said...

Congrats on crawling. Steven has such beautiful eyes. I'm sure you've heard that a lot.